Fes to Marrakech desert tour
Morocco desert tour from Fes to Marrakech
Travel from Fes to Marrakech on a 3 day desert tour crossing the Atlas Mountains and Morocco vast Sahara desert. Our 3 day Fes to Marrakech Desert tour is the perfect road trip to explore the best Morocco has to offer: Middle Atlas Mountains with its cedar forests, lush green oases, sand dunes, canyons and adobe Casbahs. Although the tour covers a vast area of Morocco in a relatively short time, the amazing scenery will never make you bored.
Below are the highlights of the 3 days Fes to Marrakech desert tour:
- Visit the winter ski resort of Ifran and the Berber village of Azrou
- Cross the Middle Atlas Mountains with its cedar forests
- Drive along Ziz Valley dotted with palm trees
- Ride camels in Erg Chebbi dunes assisiting to a dramatic sunset scene
- Spend the night in a Berber desert camp in Merzouga
- Walk in Tinghir oasis and visit the Gorges
- Drive along the road of 1001 Kasbahs and the Valley of the Roses
- Visit Skoura oasis with its most famous Amridil fortified village
- Walk to UNESCO world heritage site of Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou
- Cross the High Atlas Mountains & its Tizi Ntichka pass to Marrakech
This is the itinerary of the 3 day Fes to Marrakech Sahara desert trip:
Day 1 : (8 HOURS DRIVE)
Fes – Ifran – Midelt – Merzouga Desert
After an early breakfast at your hotel or riad id Fez, your English speaking driver / guide will pick you up as early as possible, 07h00 AM in winter time and 08h00 AM in summer ( that will allow you enough driving time to catch the sunset in Erg Chebbi )
Your Fes to Marrakech desert tour will start crossing the plains of Saiss towards the Cedar forests of the Middle Atlas Mountains past Ifran and Azrou. You can spot Barbary apes on the side of the road and stop for some photos.
Continue to Midelt, where you will stop for lunch. From here you will carry on crossing Ziz River driving past thousands of sky-scraping palm trees and fortified Kasbahs to Erfoud, then to Merzouga and Erg Chebbi, where your camel caravan will be waiting for you to ride your camels like nomads to watch the colour-changing sunset over Erg Chebbi sand dunes.
Drive your camels back to your Sahara desert camp to freshen up before getting ready for your dinner under the stars while entertained by the local nomads playing their Tam-tam drums.
Overnight at your Sahara desert camp.
Day 2 : (4 HOURS DRIVE)
Merzouga Desert – Erfoud – Tinghir – Dades Valley
After an early sunrise camel ride, meet your guide in Merzouga. Today the drive will feature one beautiful scene after another including the stunning oasis of Tinghir; where you will be able to take a walk along Todgha riverbank visiting Berber villages and learning about the life style of the local inhabitants. Continue your walk to the magnificent Todgha Canyons, and treat yourself to a delicious lunch at a local cafe.
In the afternoon, drive along the road of the Casbahs to Dades Valley before you arrive to your boutique guest house.
Dinner and overnight in Dades Valley.
Day 3 : (7 HOURS DRIVE)
Dades Valley – Ouarzazate – Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou – Marrakech
After breakfast, drive along the Valley of the Roses to Kalaa Mgouna where you might choose to visit one of the Rose water cooperatives and learn how the locals prepare rose scented perfumes based on distilled rose water.
We continue to Ouarzazate past Skoura oasis famous for its date palm trees, then to Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou where you will have lunch before a visit of the Kasbah, a UNESCO world heritage site, that has been used as a set for various Hollywood movies, fashion and commercial shooting. The Kasbah is well preserved and consisted of various Kasbahs packed together and appears as a single unit.
In the afternoon, we begin our descent through the Atlas Mountains past Tizi Ntichka Pass passing by various Berber villages with houses built with stones and mud. You immediately notice that life here never changed centuries ago !! and most of the locals are shepherds.
We arrive Marrakech late afternoon and your driver will take you to your riad or hotel.
End of your Fes to Marrakech desert tour.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO: Fes to Marrakech tour - 3 days
- - This tour can be tailored to a  4 days Fez to Marrakech desert tour if you wish
- - Tour price is per person and it depends on how many passengers in your party
- - Driving times above do not include stops for sightseeing, photos, lunch and cafe
- - Pick up from Fes can be flexible during spring and summer
- - Local guides and entrance fees ( if any ) are not included. You pay for those directly to the suppliers.
- - Winter season pick ups need to be at 07h30 the latest to catch sunset in Merzouga
- A/C modern 4×4 or van driven by an English speaking river /guide
- Pick up from your Fes hotel / Riad
- Sunset camel ride in Erg Chebbi
- Overnight at a Saharara desert camp in Erg Chebbi ( Private tent ) with shared bathrooms – Showers available in the morning at the camp operator’s lodge – Dinner and breakfast are included.
- Sunrise camel trek in Erg Chebbi
- breakfast at the camp operator's lodge in Merzouga or at your Sahara desert camp ( Luxury camp upgrade only )
- Sand boarding
- Upgrade to a deluxe camp with an ensuite tent available upon booking your desert tour ( €70 per person )
- Second night at Auberge Panorama or Hotel Babylon (Private A/C ensuite room) with dinner & breakfast
- Drop off at your Marrakech hotel or the closest accessible location to your riad if not car accessible.
- Entrance fees if any
- local guides if any
- lunches on the way
Price per person
|Number of Participants||2||3||4||5||6||7||8-10||11-13||14-17|
|Price per person||365€||285€||235€||195€||185€||175€||165€||155€||145€|
You May Also Like
Marrakech to Chefchaouen via Sahara desert and Fes
Marrakech to Merzouga Desert Tour – 4 days
Toubkal summit and Sahara desert trek – 5 days