4×4 day trip to the Atlas Mountains from Marrakech
Best Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains day tour
Our day trip to the Atlas Mountians from Marrakech is the best opportunity to get out of the bustling Marrakech and enjoy the wild nature Agafay desert and Toubkal National Park have to offer. You will seize the opportunity to meet the Berbers to explore their culture and lifestyle. This day trip to the Atlas Mountains has been admired by so many of our guests thanks to the exclusive activities offered throughout the day, and they are suitable for every member of your family of group of friends.
Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains tour highlights
- 4x4 day trip to the Atlas Mountains
- Drive across Agafay desert to admire the view of the arid dunes
- Experince a 30 minutes camel ride enjoying the views of snow capped Atlas Mountains
- Enjoy a tea ceremony at a Berber house in Kik Plateau
- Hike to Armed village located in the heart of Toubkal National Park
- Enjoy a Berber Tagine served at a host Berber family house
Atlas Mountains day trip from Marrakech itinerary
- 1 DAY :
Marrakech – Agafay desert – Toubkal National Park
After meeting your 4x4 driver / guide at your hotel or riad, your day trip to the Atlas Mountains from Marrakech will start with a drive south of the city through the Haouz plains to Agafay desert.
From here, enjoy some off the beaten track drive to the lake of Lalla Takerkoust where you will stop to enjoy the view and take photos.
An optional 30 minutes camel ride will be your next stop at the slopes of the Atlas Mountains before you continue your drive through the mountainous tiny roads to Kik Plateau admiring the views of Berber villages scattered left and right.
Fadma is a generous Berber lady who was kind enough to host our guests for a tea ceremony at her humble mud brick house. She will bake home made bread for you as well, to dip into extra virgin olive oil.
From here we will carry on through rough terrains to Imlil village, where we will leave our 4x4 and enjoy an hour moderate hike to ‘’Armed’’, a tiny Berber village located at the heart of Toubkal National Park, famous for its splendid views of Toubkal Mountain, the highest peak of North Africa ( 4 167 m high ). There is a also a small cascade not to miss, and surely your local guide will show you the way there.
After a delicious Berber Tagine lunch served by a host family in ‘’Armed’’ Village, descend back to Imlil, and enjoy a smooth ride back to Marrakech through Tahennaout, the main town in the region, where the weekly market takes place every Tuesday.
Your Atlas Mountains day trip will come to an end around 16h00 with a drop off at your hotel or riad in Marrakech.
- - Please kindly note that 4x4s take 4 adults comfortably, but can fit up to 6. The two second row seats in the back lack leg room, and can only fit children comfortably.
- - One-hour hike to ‘’Armed’’ Village is optional, and can be skipped if you wish. However, an alternative location will be chosen for you to have lunch ( Please communicate the info to your driver at the start of your tour.
- - You can choose to ride the mules to ‘’Armed’’ Village if you wish, for an extra 10 Euros to be paid directly to the supplier.
- - During the winter season and early spring, it might be cold in the Atlas Mountains during the day, please be prepared and don’t forget warm jackets.
- - Sandals and flip-flops are not recommended for this tour.
- - Ladies are advised to dress moderately during this trip. Berbers are conservative people.
- - Camel ride requires trousers or long shorts, skirts
- - Do not forget a hat, sunscreen, wet napkins and sunglasses. They will be very useful during your day trip to the Atlas Mountains.
- A/C modern Toyota land cruiser 4x4
- English / French speaking driver / guide
- 30 minutes camel ride
- Mint tea, home made bread and olive oil at a Berber house
- 1 hour hike in Toubkal National Park with a local experienced guide
- 3 course lunch at a Berber House in Imlil Village
Price per person
|Number of Participants||2||3||4||5||6|
|Price per person||85€||65€||50€||45€||40€|