Marrakech to Merzouga Desert Tour – 4 days
A trip to Morocco would not be perfect without a marvellous 4 Days Desert Tour from Marrakech to Merzouga, a journey into the restless heart of the Erg Chebbi, a thrilling Sahara desert range enveloped by large golden sand dunes offering a heavenly view. Experience the fun of Dune bashing, camel trekking, drive along Casbahs, step into oases and canyons, and meet the nomads – all in a 4-day Marrakech to Merzouga desert tour.
The highlight of your Marrakech to Merzouga 4 days desert trip will be the moment you absorb the sights and sounds of Erg Chebbi while you go on a camel trek to enjoy the sun sets behind Erg Chebbi sand dunes. As a closure to a wonderful day, we head to your Sahara desert camp nestled in the middle of nowhere.
4 days Marrakech to Merzouga desert tour highlights:
- Explore Ouarzazate, Dades Valley and Todgha Canyons
- Stand before the stunning Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou and take great photos
- Relax amid the surroundings of Erg Chebbi dunes and its crystal clear skies at night
- Enjoy a life changing camel ride in Merzouga desert
- Stay at hand picked lodges and Sahara desert camp
Marrakech to Merzouga 4-day Sahara desert tour itinerary
Day 1 : 06H00 DRIVE
MARRAKECH – SKOURA OASIS – BOUMALNE DADES
Your exciting 4 days Marrakech to Merzouga desert tour will take an early start. We will be picking you up at around 08h00 AM from your hotel or Riad. Our first destination will be Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou, but to get there, we will be driving through Tizi Ntichka pass and the High Atlas Mountains past adobe Berber villages. We will be arranging several stops along the way to take scenery photos, stretch your legs, or have a cup of coffee. After a quick stop in Ouarzazate for lunch, we continue to the oasis of Skoura, one of the largest in Morocco Sahara desert, and famous for its perfectly restored Kasbah Amridil, which is really worth a visit. Follow the local Casbah guide for a visit of the premises and learn about the Sahara architecture, ans well as the techniques of irrigation used in the nearby oases since the medieval ages. From there, drive to Boumalne Dades through the valley of the Roses, famous for its Damascus Rose plantations, as well as local ladies cooperatives distilling rose water and making some local rose based cosmetic goods. Before we reach our lodge, drive all the way to the top of Dades canyons for a quick visit. Dinner an overnight at your Dades Valley lodge.
Day 2 : 4H00 DRIVE
BOUMALNE DADES – TINGHIR – MERZOUGA
After an exquisite breakfast, we start our journey with a drive through the 1001 Kasbahs road to the oasis village of Tinghir where you will rejoice in the mesmerizing ambiance of the Todgha River where you will feel the urge to take a walk along the River Banks and ruminate upon the antique, yet, peculiar lifestyle of the Breber Villages and Kasbahs, until you find yourself facing the overwhelming landscapes of huge cliffs of Todgha Gorges. After a prosperous morning, we head to Gorges where we will have lunch. In the afternoon, we continue our journey to Erfoud, famous for its date market, as well as fossilized marble production. Next stop will visit the holy town of Rissani, the birthplace of the dynasty of Alaouites who still rule Morocco to date. From here, we continue to Merzouga. Within a walking distance from Erg Chebbi dunes, lays your lodge where you will have dinner and spend the night. Upon arrival to Erg Chebbi, prepare for an exciting camel ride while you set back and allow yourself to be blown away by the colour changing sand dunes and an exhilarating sunset. Spin back to your Sahara Desert camp where a magical Moroccan dinner under the stars and next to the campfire is awaiting for you. Relax and enjoy your meal while local nomads play their music using drums which sounds penetrate and entertain your soul. After this captivating scenery, make yourself comfortable for a glamorous overnight.
Day 3 : 9H00 DRIVE
MERZOUGA – NKOB – AGDZ – OUARZAZATE
After an early wake up to watch the sunset and a camel ride (or jeep ride) back to the village of Merzouga, meet your driver, and get ready for an other day full of sightseeing and adventure: Drive acorss the volcanic massifs of the north-eastern slopes of the Anti Atlas Mountains to the village of Nkob. This is where the drive along the legendary Draa Valley will begin. Drive past various mud-brick village scattered along the Valley. In the mid afternoon, we will arrive at Agdz, which means a rest place in Berber, as it used to be the rest place for ancient camel caravans crossing North Africa’s Sahara desert from Marrakech to Timboctou. From here, drive to Ouarzazate and spend the night at your hotel.
Day 4 : 5H00 DRIVE
Ouarzazate – Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou – Telouet – Marrakech
After breakfast, We will head west for a short drive to discover the charm of Berber villages in Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou, which is one of the most visited sites in Morocco. It is considered a great example of Moroccan earthen clay architecture and has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1987. It was also the production site of several Hollywood epics, such as Gladiator and Lawrence of Arabia. Enjoy a guided walk to the village before we continue to Telouet, another Kasbah located in the former route of the caravans crossing the High Atlas Mountains from Marrakech to the Sahara desert. It was built by the former war lord “Elgloui” in the late 19th century. From here we will cross the High Atlas Moutains to Marrakech. End of services.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:Ps: KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
- - Tour price per person depends on how many participants there are in your party
- - Driving times above do not include stops for sightseeing, photos, lunch and cafe
- - Day 3 driving back from Erg Chebbi to Marrakech is pretty long. Please be prepared for it
- - A 4x4 can seat up to 4 adult passengers comfortably if there are 5 participants and up, a van will be used for your tour
- - Local guides and entrance fees ( if any ) are not included. You pay for those directly to the suppliers
- - Pick up time for your desert tour can be flexible. Between 07h30 and 08h00 AM is highly recommended.
- - If you wish to experience sand boarding in the dunes of Erg Chebbi, there are a few sand boards in the lodge to take with you to the camp. Just ask for it and if available, you will be given one
- A/C modern 4×4 or van driven by an English speaking river /guide.
- Pick up from your Marrakaech hotel / Riad.
- First night at Auberge Panorama or Hotel Babylon (Private A/C ensuite room) with dinner & breakfast.
- Second night at a lodge in Merzouga including dinner and breakfast.
- Sunset camel rides in Erg Chebbi.
- Third night at a Sahara desert camp located at the edge of Erg Chebbi (Private tent) with shared bathrooms – Showers available in the morning at the camp operator’s lodge – Dinner and breakfast are included.
- Upgrade to a deluxe camp with an ensuite tent available upon booking your desert tour (€70 per person )
- Drop off at your Marrakech hotel or the closest accessible location to your riad if not car accessible.
- Entrance fees if any
- Local guides if any
Price per person
|Number of Participants||1||2||3||4||5||6||7-9||10-13||14-17|
|Price per person||725€||430€||350€||290€||260€||240€||210€||190€||175€|
You May Also Like
Marrakech to Chefchaouen via Sahara desert and Fes
Marrakech to Merzouga Desert Tour – 4 days
Toubkal summit and Sahara desert trek – 5 days