Morocco Sahara desert trip to Erg Chigaga from Marrakech via Zagora, Mhamid, and Foum Zguid is for serious desert amateurs, who admire the silence and the majesty of the desert to forget about the hectic city lives!
Marrakech to Erg Chigaga desert tour can be tailored into a 5 days desert tour if you have time.
Here are Marrakech to Erg Chigaga desert tour Highlights:
- Cross the High Atlas Mountains and Tizi Ntichka pass
- Visit the Berber Village of Ait Ben Haddou with its world heritage Kasbah
- Drive along Draa Valley passing by Berber fortified Kasbahs
- Ride a camel in Erg Chigaga and watch the sunset.
- Spend the night at your Sahara desert camp nestled in the middle of nowhere
- Enjoy a scenic drive across the salt dry lake of Iriqui and meet real Berber nomads
Day 1: Marrakech – Ouarzazate – Zagora
Your Marrakech to Erg Chigaga Morocco desert tour will start at 07h30 AM with a pick up from your Marrakech hotel / Riad.
Depart Marrakech, winding up through the Atlas Mountains over the Tichka Pass where the views are quite splendid. A few stops are made for taking in the scenery and photography.
We arrive Ouarzazate for lunch before we Continue to Zagora crossing the Draa river which has given life to a huge oasis spreading for about 200 Km at the foothill of the anti Atlas mountains. Along the way, several palmeraies will bring their shades between Kasbahs and fortified villages dotted with fields of corn, barley, Vegetables and henna plantations.
Dinner and Overnight at your Zagora hotel.
Day 2: Zagora – Mhamid – Erg Chigaga
After breakfast, we drive to M’hamid (where the paved road ends) passing by the village of Tamagroute where we will have the opportunity to visit one of the oldest Quranic libraries in Morocco, then the nearby kasbah famous for its potters' factory.
Lunch will be served in M’hamid at leisure. Early afternoon, we depart for Erg Chigaga dunes crossing different features of the desert; ‘Erg’, ‘Reg’, ‘Hammadas and oases. Erg Chigaga dunes are far away from civilization and the silence of the sand is overwhelming.
Ride your camels across the dunes and enjoy one of the most dramatic sunsets over the color changing sands dunes.
Enjoy a splendid dinner under the stars next to the campfire, while entertained by the local nomads playing local music.
Overnight at your Sahara desert camp.
Day 3: Erg Chigaga – Foum Zguid – Ouarzazate
After breakfast, the road takes us through another 90km of the desert with varying scenery: we first cross the flat dried salt lake of Iriqui and the Anti Atlas mountains, following the old track of “Rally Paris Dakar”. Then to Foum Zguid the first village after the desert, where the paved road begins.
After lunch, continue to the Berber village of Taznakht, famous for its Berber carpets and rugs.
We arrive Ouarzazate late in the afternoon. Dinner and overnight at your hotel in Ouarzazate.
Day 4: Ouarzazate – Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou – Marrakech
After breakfast, we can enjoy a visit of the film studios located just outside Ouarzazate, which is known as Hollywood of Africa.
We then continue to visit the world heritage site of Kasah Ait Ben Hadou, previously used as a set for more than 20 Hollywood blockbusters including “Gladiator” “Indiana Jones” and “Lawrence of Arabia”. Enjoy a walk to explore the traditional Moroccan style of architecture in which the Kasbahs are built.
We continue our way to Marrakesh through the High Atlas Mountains and Tizi n’Tichka pass. Depending on time, lunch can be served in Ait Ben Hadou or in the Atlas Mountains on the way to Marrakech.
Arrival at Marrakech by 17h00 PM.
Your Marrakech to Erg Chigaga 4 days desert tour will end with a drop off at your Marrakech hotel / Riad, or a location of your choice.
- A/C modern 4×4 driven by an English speaking driver /guide
- Pick up from your Marrakaech hotel / Riad
- First night at hotel La Fibule de Draa including dinner and breakfast ( Private A/C ensuite room )
- Sunset camel ride in Erg Chigaga
- Overnight at a Saharara desert camp in Erg Chigaga ( Private tent ) with shared bathrooms and showers. Dinner and breakfast are included.
- Upgrade to a deluxe camp with an ensuite tent available upon booking your desert tour ( €125 per person )
- Sunrise camel ride
- Overnight at hotel Les Jardins De Ouarzazate ( Private A/C ensuite room ) including dinner an breakfast
- Drop off at your Marrakech hotel or the closest accessible location to your riad if not car accessible
- Entrance fees if any
- local guides if any
- lunches on the way
Know Before You Go:
- Tour price per person depends on how many participants there are in your party
- Driving times above do not include stops for sightseeing, photos, lunch and cafe
- A 4x4 can seat up to 4 adult passengers comfortably. Families of 6 with small children can fit in a 4x4.
- Local guides and entrance fees ( if any ) are not included. You pay for those directly to the suppliers.
- Pick up time for your desert tour can be flexible. Between 07h30 and 08h00 AM is highly recommended.