Toubkal summit and Sahara desert trek – 5 days
Take a dramatic Hike to Toubkal Summit and a road trip to Morocco Sahara desert on this 5 day adventure combining the best Morocco is known for: Atlas Mountains and Sahara Desert!
Get a feel for the local culture as you sleep in the High Atlas Mountain huts sharing a loaf of bread with the Berbers, and desert camps in Merzouga learning how to play Tamtam drums with the nomads.
- Summit the highest peak of North Africa: Mt Toubkal
- Experience the Berber lifestyle through rugged mountains and Berber villages
- Explore the Game of Thrones and Gladiator scenes in Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou
- Discover the red sand dunes of Erg Chebbi on the back of your camel
- Stay in Sahara desert camp like a nomad
- Admire the dramatic change of landscapes from the Atlas Mountains to Sahara desert
Toubkal summit and Sahara desert trek itinerary
Day 1 :
Marrakech – Imlil – Toubkal Hut
Your epic adventure will begin early in the morning with a drive from Marrakech to Imlil, the gateway to Mount Toubkal hike. Meet your guide, muleteer and cook, who will take care of your belongings before you start with a short hike to Aroumd village ( 2000m ). From here you will cross the flood plain of Ait Mizane and start a 1207 m hike in altitude. Zgzag along a series of switchbacks following mule tracks past the holy shrine of Sidi Chamharouch. Arrive at Toubkal Hut ( 3200 m ) late in the afternoon for dinner and overnight.
Day 2 :
Toubkal Hut – Imlil
Wake up at dawn for a 10-hour trek. Toubkal summit climb will involve scrambling across steep rocky fields that require hiking skills in the snowy winter season. After 4 hours hiking, you will reach Toubkal summit (4167 m). Enjoy the majestic views over the roof of North Africa: Look up the east and you will see the Sahara desert plains. To the west, lays the Atlantic coast behind the peaks of Nfiss Valley. Toast your accomplishment over a packed breakfast before you climb down to Toubkal hut base for lunch. In the afternoon, we descend to Imlil for a well deserved Hammam, dinner and overnight at your hotel.
Day 3 : 7 hours drive
Imlil – Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou – Boumalne Dades
After breakfast, it’s time to leave Toubkal summit hike behind you and start your Morocco Sahara desert tour: Cross Tizin Ntichka pass towards Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou. This earthen village is listed as a world heritage site, and was a set of numerous Hollywood epics. Meet your local guide for short visit of the village to learn about this 17th century building. After lunch at leisure, you will continue to Oarzazate. At the entrance of the city, you will easily spot Atlas Film Studios on the left. If you wish to visit, guided tours are scheduled throughout the day. From here, we will continue to the oasis of Skoura, famous for its most preserved Kasbah in Morocco: Amridil. This one is really worth a visit, to learn about the oases Berbers culture, architecture and lifestyle. In the afternoon, we continue to Boumalne Dades driving past the road of 1001 Kasbahs and the Valley of the roses. You might want to stop at local artisanal distilling factories to learn about the process. We arrive at your hotel located at the edge of the Dades canyons for dinner and overnight.
Day 4 :
Boumalne Dades – Rissani – Merzouga
After breakfast, today’s journey will head to Tinghit, a former Fench military bation during the 20th century occupation. It was also famous for its important jewish community and silver jewellery craftsmanship. Meet your local guide for a walk in the oasis and all the way to the majestic Todgha Canyons. In the afternoon, we continue our way to Rissani, a holy town famous for being the birthplace of the actual dynasty ruling Morocco: The Alaouites. Visit the date market before you continue to Merzouga. Upon arrival, meet your camel caravan and head straight to Erg chebbi for an other epic adventure. Stop at the top of one of the sand dunes to watch the sun set down over the horizon while the sand dunes change in colour. Just before it gets dark, arrive at your Morocco Sahara desert camp nestled in the middle of nowhere. After you settle down in your tent, get ready for a delicious Moroccan dinner under the stars, followed by a cosy evening around the campfire, entertained by your nomad hosts playing Tamtam drums.
Day 5 : 9 hours drive
Early morning wake up to watch the sunrise (optional), followed by breakfast and a camel ride back to the camp operator’s lodge. Meet your driver for a long ride back to Marrakech past Ouarzazate and the High Atlas Mountains. Your Atlas hiking and Sahara desert tour will come to an end at your Marrakech riad, hotel or a location of your choice.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- - Tour price per person depends on how many participants there are in your party.
- - 2 days Toubkal hike requires some trekking skills especially in the snowy winter.
- - The main difficulty for most people who climb Mount Toubkal is altitude sickness and if you're new to trekking then you may well struggle.
- - Driving times above do not include stops for sightseeing, photos, lunch and cafe
- - Day 3 driving back from Erg Chebbi to Marrakech is pretty long. Please be prepared for it
- - A 4x4 can seat up to 4 adult passengers comfortably if there are 5 participants and up, a van will be used for your tour
- - Local guides and entrance fees ( if any ) are not included. You pay for those directly to the suppliers
- - Pick up time for your desert tour can be flexible. Between 07h30 and 08h00 AM is highly recommended.
- - If you wish to experience sand boarding in the dunes of Erg Chebbi, there are a few sand boards in the lodge to take with you to the camp. Just ask for it and if available, you will be given one
- Private transfer from Marrakech to Imlil ( A/C modern vehicle )
- Local licensed English / French speaking mountain guide for Toubkal ascent trek
- Mules for luggage and meals transportation in Toubkal
- Overnight at Toubkal refuge
- Meals and mineral water ( full board ) during your Toubkal hike
- Second night a Toubkal lodge in Imlil
- Pick up from Imlil village on day 3.
- A/C modern 4×4 or van driven by an English speaking river /guide for the desert part of the tour.
- Third night at Auberge Panorama or Hotel Babylon (Private A/C ensuite room) with dinner & breakfast.
- Sunset camel rides in Erg Chebbi.
- Fourth night at a Sahara desert camp located at the edge of Erg Chebbi ( Private tent ) with shared bathrooms – Showers available in the morning at the camp operator’s lodge – Dinner and breakfast are included.
- Upgrade to a deluxe camp with an ensuite tent available upon booking your desert tour ( €70 per person )
- Lunches and beverages for the Sahara desert tour part
- Local guides during the Sahara desert part / if any
- Entrance fees to museumes and historical sites / if any
Price per person
|Number of Participants||1||2||3||4||5||6||7-9||10-13||14-17|
|Price per person||885€||520€||420€||370€||325€||295€||275€||260€||235€|
You May Also Like
Marrakech to Chefchaouen via Sahara desert and Fes
Marrakech to Merzouga Desert Tour – 4 days
Toubkal summit and Sahara desert trek – 5 days